Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Take out Tuesday

Sometimes, you just feel like take out. We have been trying to set a special take out day since we moved to Austin. There are so many great restaurants around here, and we want a chance to try them all. Take out day seems like a fun way to do that. We have also been trying to save money, though, and it can be pretty expensive to eat out. But, tonight I really really felt like eating a salad, and all we have at home are leftovers from "school lunch" night (steak fingers, mashed potatoes, gravy). So, since I work until 8pm on Tuesdays, and we have extra things to do after work, we decided to grab some fast food take out. Don't despair, though, for this is not your greasy, fatty, gross fast food. This is Baby Greens, the coolest little salad place in Texas (and maybe anywhere, I've never heard of anything like it.)

I was really going to get a salad, and a cup of their Vegetarian Tortilla soup that I love. But, after everyone ordered wraps, they started sounding pretty good, so I decided on the Southwest tofu salad wrap, with a spinach tortilla and no dressing.

The wrap was pretty good. I like that the spinach tortilla actually kind of tasted like spinach, instead of like a green wheat tortilla. Their tofu was also a little different from what I'm used to getting in wraps. It was very soft, and a little squishy, but it had good flavor. Also the corn and black bean salsa had a nice kick and paired nicely with the jicima and carrot, while the avocado smoothed it all out. This place knows how to make a salad, and wrap it up.

I think Take-Out Tuesdays could become a regular thing, especially if we keep it cheap. Baby Greens and Veggie Heaven are on the top of the list! Some others I like are Thundercloud Subs, Wheatsville Deli (duh), and Zen (japanese fast food).

4 comments:

The Traveler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Traveler said...

I really didn't care much for Zen, which is sad because I live right behind one, but am completely hooked on both Hai Ky and Java Noodle (both are on Oltorf east of 35). Hai Ky has some nice vegan/veg options (they have a veg pad thai that I love), and Java Noodle's extra-spicy "Java Special" is to die for.

Too bad all the good Indian restaurants are up north. Well, the one on Riverside & Pleasant Valley is decent, but it's not fabulous...

Kayla said...

I haven't been to either place yet. I keep forgetting that Java Noodle is so close that it would be perfect for Tuesday night take out. I don't know where Hai Ky is..
We should go for Indian sometime. I'm thinking Swad...

The Traveler said...

Swad is definitely doable. Have you even made it there?

Hai Ky is on E. Oltorf in a sketchy neighborhood.