Saturday, November 10, 2007

On the cheap

I saw something somewhere a while back called the Great Grocery Challenge, or something like that. Basically, someone decided that they wouldn't go shopping for an entire month, and just live off of what they already had in their cabinets and fridge. I thought this sounded pretty interesting, but dismissed it as something I wouldn't want to do. But, then I got to thinking about budgeting. I haven't been working as many hours lately, and I have been spending alot of money on food. We decided that this might be something to consider. So, we sat down and thought about it, and decided that now is the perfect time. The kids are out of town, and the holidays are right around the corner. We will be saving money and cleaning out. Plus, it's always fun to see what you can come up with using only so many ingredients. We started the challenge Thursday (after doing a little grocery shopping). We are going to try really hard not to go shopping again until right before Thanksgiving. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out. Here's what we've got to work with

Our pantry- top shelf is all herbs and spices, second shelf is baking stuff, third is, uh, pantry stuff like dried fruits, nut butter, seeds, tea, coffee, etc, fourth shelf (which you can't really see) is beans and grains, soymilk in aseptic containers, and cat food.
Our fridge- White bean soup, chocolate pudding, hummus, bread, wheat flour, mashed potatoes, pasta, tofutti cream cheese, sourdough starter, wheat gluten, cereal (ant problem), carrots, celery, apples, oranges, banana bread, leftover sweet potato fries.
The door- Earth Balance sticks, tahini, jam, salsa, hot sauce, nooch, chickpea flour, flax seed, wheat germ, apple sauce, mustard, cranberry syrup, soymilk, cashew-tamari dressing.
The freezer- corn tortillas, frozen veggies, leftover fall vegetable pies, and basil in ice cubes.

Speaking of craftiness, we are going to Stitch tonight when I get off of work. I'm looking forward to seeing all of the crafty goods, and checking out some designers I've never heard of (it's a long list). I want to give handmade gifts this year, so this might be a good way to supplement. What I think I'm most excited about is that there is something going on during the weekend that is late enough for me to actually go to after work. Woohoo!

*Sorry, no pictures. I was going to show you my pantry and whatever, but it was late when I got home last night.
** This post is technically from yesterday. I wrote it up, but forgot to post. Can't complain about two posts in one day...if I get around to it.
*** Okay, so I got pictures and decided to add them, because I know you really, really want to see my goods.

2 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I could NEVER not go grocery shopping - I go at least 2-3 times per week, to stock up on produce and whatnot. Good luck!

Have fun at Stitch!!!

Kayla said...

That's exactly the way I felt, but I think it will be a really fun challenge. We'll see if I feel the same in two weeks :)