Thursday, November 15, 2007

MoFoVey

Just when I was loosing my inspiration, Amanda at Walking the Vegan Line showed up with a Vegan MoFo Survey. Here are my answers..

1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
On a regular, daily basis I prefer Rice Dream plain. We've been drinking alot of Wild Oats brand soymilk lately, though because of a buy one, get one special. Also, I'm in love with Silk Pumpkin Spice.

2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Forbidden Rice salad, Tropical granola, a Thanksgiving feast

3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
Depending on my mood, either Earth Balance with nooch and salt, or canola oil, sugar, and spices.

4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
The time I tried faux duck from the Hong Kong market. Blech!

5. Favorite pickled item?
I have a thing for pickled carrots with mint..

6. How do you organize your recipes?
I have a shelf of cookbooks, and all of my loose recipes I keep either in a folder, a ziplock, or I have a text version on my laptop.

7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
Compost. We want to start a garden in the spring, so we have a bin out back and a bowl on our counter where all food scraps go. No banana peel left behind!

8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)?
Chocolate, granola, brussel sprouts

9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
My nanny's plum cobbler. Easily veganized

10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Tea Dream Chocolate Caramel Chai

11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
Stick blender

12. Spice/herb you would die without?
Garlic..and basil.

13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
Hmm..I don't remember the exact name. Something like Simple Meals for Vegetarians. I never use it.

14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
Apricot

15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Lasagna. You can't go wrong

16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
Tofu, for now

17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
Breakfast, if I can get myself up early enough.

18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
There's a pot rack hanging above it with our pots and pans. The larger pots that won't fit are on top.

19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
brussel sprouts, coffee beans, cranberries

20. What's on your grocery list?
We're trying not to go grocery shopping for our cabinet cleaning challenge. But, I can't help but make a mental one, so: maple syrup, greens, mustard,

21. Favorite grocery store?
Wheatsville, duh.

22. Name a recipe you'd love to veganize, but haven't yet.
Green bean casserole. Maybe for Thanksgiving

23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa's because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
There are more than 3 on the top of my list, but here are the top ones: Walking the Vegan Line, Get Sconed, Have Cake Will Travel, and Yellow Rose Recipes

24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
Right now it's Green and Black's Dark with Orange and Spices

25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
I always buy the best chocolate. Otherwise, I keep it simple.

26. Ingredients you are scared to work with?
I've always been scared of working with pastry. I'm slowly overcoming that. But, I know I will probably never be as good as my Nanny.

Things should be getting better in the kitchen soon. Just working alot of hours right now. I'm still trying to figure out how the heck we'll fit in cooking a thanksgiving feast for 8 people between working 8 and 12 hour days. Hmm..it should be an adventure!

3 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said...

Wow, Thanksgiving for 8 people!! Best of luck with that, anymore than four people for dinner really stresses me out. (guess I should start getting over that)

Glad you filled out the survey too! I meant to stop by Wheatsville when we were in Austin a few weeks ago but we didn't make it, but maybe sometime soon. Sometimes I just get so sick of whole foods. Yesterday I was in the checkout line and the guy in front of me put this huge turkey on the conveyor belt. I just shook my head and tried to look away. But when it came time to put my groceries down, there was a huge wet mark where it had been!! I had the checker clean it off, does that make me weird?

Anyhow, sorry for the rant. I'm trying green bean casserole for thanksgiving too, fatfree vegan kitchen has a recipe that sounds pretty good.

Melody said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kayla said...

Yeah, it's gonna be a little crazy, but also fun. It's all vegan except for the turkey, but they are only buying a few turkey breasts because not everyone will be having it. So, yay!

I don't think that makes you weird at all. I get really grossed out by stuff like that. I mean, you would think people would have the courtesy to notice that not everyone wants their meat drippings all over their vegetables. I would have done it too.