Sunday, July 22, 2007

Two dinners and a protest

The protests are over, and now I'm looking for other ways to pass the time. What better way to pass the time than to cook? Eat, of course! And I've been doing plenty of that..

Inspired byJess at Get Sconed, I made an herb crusted Gardenburger cutlet, with leftover chickpea gravy, some steamed broccoli, and polenta fries with red curry ketchup. I am not a big fan of most of the frozen veg burgers out there. They are good for a quick, hearty dinner, but I just don't like the after taste. Much better when crusted and coated with gravy. I especially liked it dipped in my ketchup, just like when I was a kid- only cruelty free!

After the last circus protest, we went out for dinner to Madras Pavillion. It is my new favorite restaurant in Houston. They have the best Indian food around, and they are super vegan friendly, which can be hard to find in such a big meat eating town. We split some Samosas and Idli for appetizers, and then two different curries for our entrees- Chana Masala, and Dal Palaak. I had been craving spinach like crazy, so the Dal Palaak was my preferences, but they were both fantastic (even if the picture isn't). I need to start making more indian food at home.

As far as the protest goes, I'm not sure how many people we were able to reach, or if anyone actually took us seriously. I like to think positively and say that we made people aware, and maybe they will go home and do some research and be able to make a more informed decision when the Circus comes around next year. I don't think a lot of people realize the cruelty going on behind the scenes in these entertainment industries. I'm glad that we were out there to help inform, even if we got a lot of negativity and weird looks. I think the best thing we can do next is to get legislation passed to ban the bullhook here in Houston, if not the entire state of Texas.

Here are a couple of protesters. Danielle has the bull horn, yelling things like "animal cruelty is not a family value", and "all of the animals you see today are performing against their will". Janice, the host of Go Vegan Texas is holding a sign, and handing out pamphlets.
And me acting like a protest diva after our Wednesday protest.By the way, the dates at the bottom of the pictures are wrong. Believe me, I was there.

2 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said...

I agree, Madras is awesome, need to get over there soon, haven't been in awhile. Sounds like the protest went alright, I think it's great to just get out there. Wish I had been in town to join yall.

aTxVegn said...

We have a Madras here too, but I haven't been yet. Now I wanna go! I LOVE Indian food.