Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Foood, oh food

Since coming back from Austin, I feel like I have been a lazy ass recluse, burying my emotions in my food. In reality, I have been getting out and doing some important things. I spent my weekend protesting the circus in Houston. I've also unpacked and organized all of the clothes that were scattered all over my room in my mom's house. Now I'm working on more posters for the protests this week, reading some books I have been meaning to get around to (Diet for a New America, The China Study..), and thinking of starting a zine. I'm also working up the courage to call up my grandparents who are not in optimum health. I'll get around to all of that eventually. Now, the food..


I made these quesedillas with some squash blossoms I bought at a farmers market in Austin. I spread some basil tofu spread onto a hemp tortilla (which I cannot in a conscious state recommend), then sauteed some sliced squash blossoms and put them on top. I folded it in half, put it in the oven for a minute or two, then sliced and consumed with my new favorite salsa- roasted garlic is the best!

I have had this insatiable craving for fig newtons lately. I considered buying the wheat-free version of fig newmans, but have always backed out at the checkout because they just seem too expensive and I would rather experiment with my own version. So, feeling particularly culinarily enhanced (say what?) one evening, I decided to try the Skinny Fig Bars on Fat Free Vegan. I used a few substitutions, so mine didn't come out quite the same. They were still pretty tasty, and far cheaper than the packaged alternative. I think next time I won't add as much lemon juice, and I will probably also opt to keep the dates in.


Tonight I wanted fries. But not just any fries. I wanted polenta fries to go with some leftover, thawed out chili. I found a great recipe on Shmooed Food, and gave it a try. These were really simple, and came out really good- even substituting stone ground cornmeal for polenta. I can't wait to get her book one day. Just waiting for a little extra cash flow..

2 comments:

aTxVegn said...

Hey, thanks for the visit to my blog. I must say you hit all the right spots in Austin! I haven't yet been to Davine Foods, but as soon as I can head down south I will - falafel waffles!

Cool you tried the broccoli cheeze casserole. I don't normally make dishes that heavy, but it was really nice for a change.

My dream is to quit my 8 to 5 and enroll at the Natural Epicurean. But I'm too old for that, so I hope you get to go.

Kayla said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by! Definitely try Davine when you get the chance. It's such a cool little place, although be prepared to fight the flies!

I loved the casserole, although afterward I discovered I left out a key ingredient- onions.

Even if you can't quit your 8 to 5, you can still take classes at the school. I sat in on one, and they seem like a lot of fun, and very informative. I am becoming more intrigued with Macrobiotics since visiting the school. I look forward to experimenting with it and seeing if it is for me.