Friday, July 20, 2007

A twist on Twinkies

I don't know about you, but when I think about Italian dessert, I think Tiramisu. It was my usual go to when going out, but I never attempted it at home. Since going Vegan, I thought it would be on the list of the very few things that I wouldn't have again. No biggie...until a friend invited me to have an Italian dinner with some family. I came across a few really good sounding recipes. But, to me, they seemed to use too many pseudo replacer items (which I don't mind sometimes, but am trying to avoid because they cost way too much). Anyway, I toyed around with making some of Isa's Tiramisu Cupcakes, but then a great thought struck me. Bam, whowz, hooo! Tiramisu Twinkies! Or, as my friend and I dubbed them- Kakies (Kayla's spin on Twinkies..yeah, I rock).
Twin..er..Kakies straight out of the oven. Golden and delicious

I turned them out and let them cool. Then, I carefully filled them with creme. It wasn't quite set, so began oozing out of the little holes (what a great mental picture), I shoved some chocolate chips in to plug it up. Genius!

I put them back in the pan, poked them with a toothpick and drizzled coffee/liquer glaze on the tops. They weren't quite ready yet, so I pumped some creme into the top, put a chocolate chip on top, and dusted with cocoa powder.

It made enough for 8 Twinkie sized cakes, and 6 mini cupcakes. I don't know the right equation for just twinkies, but a little extra never hurts.

I had no idea how I was going to construct these babies when I began the project, but as it progressed it all just came around. I was suprised at how well everyone took to them, some even had two! You just can't resist the creme filled goodness.

4 comments:

The Traveler said...

Mmmm, looks damn tasty.

Made fig bars last night...delish. Made from fresh figs from the market, and with safflower oil instead of butter. Crust isn't quite as compact as it should be (prolly because I also used turbinado instead of brown sugar), but it's good. Recipe highly recommended.

Kayla said...

It's strange that all of the figs in my area are disappearing and the leaves are dying, when the woman from Houston says she has an overabundance. Hmm, I suspect foul play.

urban vegan said...

How fun! I haven't had a Twinkie in about 2.5 decades. Yikes.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Wow, those look awesome, how creative!! I"ve never had a twinkie in my life, but those I would try!