Monday, December 18, 2006

Catching up

I'm a posting slacker, so now I'm playing catch up. I have made so much yummy food that I haven't posted about, but have really enjoyed. It's not like I don't have the time, I'm just lazy. So, in the spirit of the holidays and the approaching of a new year (thus pesky resolution making) I'll highlight a few things that were really good, and try to resolve to post more often.

First up, Ginger Gems. These tasty treats were featured in a Vegetarian Times article full of yummy vegan cookies. The icing on these babies definately does something magical to them. Although, I found that replacing some of the oil or EB with apple sauce, and making my own crystalized ginger (by boiling chopped fresh ginger in a simple syrup until absorbed), made the cookies moister and sweeter, and they didn't even need the icing.

Next up is a cabbage casserole I made. A very simple concoction of shredded cabbage, lightly blached, layered with chopped tomato, whole wheat couscous, onions, and seasonings, then baked until soft. It was definately a worthy use of my locally grown, organic cabbage from the market.
I finally bought a bag of shelled hemp seeds at the farmers market. I was at a loss for what to do with them, besides throw them into smoothies. When I came across mention of Dreena Burton's Apple-Hemp muffins, I knew I had to recreate those delicious sounding things. Since I don't have the book, I compiled a few recipes together and put my own twist on them, eventually ending up with these beauties. I will definately be buying "Vive leVegan" the next time I have money to purchase a cookbook.
I have been sorting through all of my torn out recipes from years worth of collecting food magazines. When I ran across this recipe from a Vegetarian Times a couple years back, and I had most of the ingredients on hand, I knew I had to make it. It is supposed to be Pasta with Cannelini beans, broccoli rabe, and sun-dried tomatoes. Instead, it is made with broccoli, instead of broccoli rabe. Basically it is pasta (I used macaroni) topped with a white bean sauce of mashed up beans, veg stock, garlic and rosemary boiled down, them some blanched broccoli with rehydrated and sliced sun-dried tomatoes. So simple, yet SUPER delicious. Also served with pieces of a homegrown sweet potato. MMmm!Last, some miso-braised eggplant with brown rice, and baked tofu. I wanted to try this eggplant recipe from Artful Vegan before I gave it to James for Christmas. It turned out nicely, except that I used a regular globe eggplant instead of the Japanese eggplant it called for. I'll know better next time. But the sauce was great.

No comments: